Thursday, September 14, 2006

Perspectives from OCLC

I read the perspectives of Wendy Schultz, Michael Stephens, and John J. Riemer about the progression of libraries through the Library 2.0 concepts. In his article, "Into a New World of Librarianship," Stephens joins the rest of the authors in expressing his ideas about libraries and services being revamped to meet the needs of users through mainly technology, communication (I loved that he wants to use instant messages to users), and user-centric mindsets.
Of course, libraries have no choice but to progress with the times. I know even I when I want to know ANYTHING, I go to the web, but as a reader-for-pleasure I would hate to think that I would have to download all the thrillers I read of worse, buy them.
It was interesting to read that John Riemer in his article about changing bibliographical services, referred to Endeca-based NCSU tool and the fact that users may choose different ways of navigating.
It will indeed be interesting to see how libraries change to meet the needs of its users now and in the future and exciting to be a part of these changes.

http://www.oclc.org/nextspace/002/3.htm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home